Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

On U-Turns, Detours and Academic Productivity


There’s a piece of common wisdom among academics that I’d like to share with you today.  One of the best ways to become a productive scholar – the type who frequently introduces an innovative way of looking at a problem and  who is never short of research topics  -- is to read widely outside your field of primary interest.  That’s because often new and novel research ideas in one field come about through a process of ‘borrowing’ from another field.  Within political science, we can identify approaches to looking at problems that have been borrowed from psychology, sociology and economics, to name a few. 
Back when I was in graduate school at the University of Michigan, I was fortunate to be able to take a class with Robert Axelrod, the award-winning author of the Evolution of Cooperation, a seminal work in the field of international relations.  He  offered his students a lot of advice as we began our academic careers and some of it has stuck with us today.  First, he encouraged us to apply for every single fellowship and grant, seminar and program for which we might be remotely eligible.  I still remember him asking us, “What have you got to lose?  All it costs you is the price of a stamp – but that grant might be worth ten thousand dollars.”  This shows you how old I am – since now most of the applying takes place on line (making it even cheaper, by the way . . . )
The other piece of advice had to do with this notion of borrowing.  He was constantly asking how explanations which helped in understanding and predicting one type of phenomena might be useful in explaining other phenomena.  I remember watching his mind work – as he asked us whether, for example, computer models which predicted which buildings were stable and which were prone to collapse – might be applied to asking about stability in the international system, or the likelihood of a regime change.  (Those of you in my research methods class will recognize this as the principle of generalizability.) 
Recently my own extradisciplinary reading has been in the field of engineering ethics, and I’ll blog more about that later this week.  I’ve been enjoying a book by Wendell Wallach and Colin Allen called Moral Machines:  Teaching Robots Right from Wrong.  In it, the authors make the argument that increasingly, humans are turning over many functions of running society to machines which make decisions which affect our lives.  These machines are using automation and algorithms to do everything from deciding who gets an extra ‘pat-down’ at the airport, to automatically shutting off your credit card if you engage in an unusual transaction, to shutting off a nuclear reactor if a breach is detected.  As we begin to traverse this brave new world in which both humans and machines think, make decisions and affect society, there are certainly ways in which political scientists can begin to think about the politics which will arise.  But more about that later this week . . .

4 comments:

  1. Hi Professor Manjikian,
    I enjoyed this post and the advice your professor gave you. I would like to know what you think of the book, Moral Machines, when you finish. What concerns me is that people in my generation (I am 25) do not "think" about data--we just trust what the computers spit out. We want everything immediately, always given to us in soundbites. I know I am guilty of accepting certain statistics at face value, without probing deeper. One of my favorite classes this summer in my internship with National Right to Life was a class about maternal mortality and illegal abortions. We spent days examining the statistics that float around, and it was fascinating the flaws that existed. In the article that we read for this week, "Sex, Lies, and Pitfalls of Overblown Statistics," I found this quote very enlightening: “Statistics are only as valid as the sources from which they are drawn and the abilities of those who use them.” It seems to me that unless we are willing to study data and statistics more deeply, then we will never really understand the issues at hand. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor Manjikian,
    I also enjoyed your post. The paragraph about borrowing struck me in particular. As a pastor, I often see parallels in phenomenon between the spiritual and the secular. There are numerous political factors influencing theology and Church dogma/government. For instance, attitudes towards women in authority constantly evolve and how decisions are made at higher denominational levels. Socio-economic factors seem to have a bearing on these issues as well. I once saw a church lose 6,000 members, while the church down the road, one mile away, gained 1800. In seminary, they taught that people, on average, drive 1.7 miles to church, yet the church that was growing in numbers said "what a blessing God is doing in this place," not “I guess we are getting their members.” As an observer, these facts are interesting, but do you believe they have an application? Chapter two of our text book highlighted the critical theory. For me, knowledge as an end unto itself is useless. Here is one important question I have heard discussed. Do you think modern marketing techniques should be applied to evangelism?

    Very respectfully,

    Loren Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds interesting, Dr. Manjikian. I appreciate the diversity of your research interests. Robot ethics....hmmm, interesting. I do hope you share in class about the book. Thanks for sharing the tips from your professor.

    -Qwynne Winslow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Manjikian,
    The last paragraph in particular struck me. I don't think enough academic fields give enough attention to important ethical concerns, especially tech fields. It's disturbing that computers which use mathematical formulas are responsible for making decisions that affect humans lives. It's scrary to say but I don't think we're far off from programming humans.

    -Bruce Cornibe

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts: